6. juli 2005

Sin CIty

Just got back from my second viewing of Sin City.

I do love this movie, and I'll be buying it the second the 2-disk edition is released. Anyways, this movie is visually stunning. Kind of weird to say that about a mainly black'n white movie, but it's true. The few colours that pop up just add to the gritty feel of the movie, and help draw attention to the simple things we might have missed, like Dwight's shoes.
The stories are simple, and I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as much if they were taken out of the CGI/black'n white/gritty setting, and each segment made in to a separate film. It's the style and the feel that this movie delivers that kept me in my seat and enjoying myself, that and the really cool characters.
First up is two short stories, one with Josh Hartnett, and the beginning of Bruce Willis' story. Don't think it lasts for more than 10-15 minutes in total, before the first main event. The Hard Good-Bye.


 
This is my favourite story out of the three main ones, because of the fact that Marv is a very cool character. He's demented, deformed, and does some horrible things to various people, but he's also funny, sweet and would go on a murder spree for someone he cares about. Mickey Rourke does a great job, seems like he's found his part.
The two women; Jamie King and Carla Gugino do their jobs well. There's not really that much to say, because I didn't really to focus on them, half naked women aren't exactly what draws my attention.
I really liked Elijah Wood's character. Kevin. Though I wish they'd done more with his character, it's over oh-so-soon, five minutes of sceen time is not enough. I know they followed the comics frame-by-frame, so I'll have to give Frank Miller the blame for that.


The next story is The Big Fat Kill.
 
This is my second fave chapter. I liked Dwight as a character as well, and I think Clive Owen did a good job. I'm liking him as an actor as well. Anyways, this story is good as well, maybe a little bit more fragmented than the first, this time it's about a man protecting his girls from an evil man and a shaky truce.
Must admit I found it rather amusing that Alexis Bledel was cast as a hooker, and the short moment she's holding a gun doesn't look quite right. I guess to me she'll always be Rory Gilmore. She does an ok job, her role isn't really that different from Rory, personality wise.
Benicio Del Toro did a good job in this film. Maybe I feel that way because some of the things that happen to his character, but I did enjoy his portrayal of Jackie Boy, the sleasy woman-basher. He is the x-boyfriend of Shellie, portrayed by Brittany Murphy, who without a doubt delivers the worst performance in the film, and maybe even her carrer. She has some kind of southern accent going, that she has no control over, and seems to be approaching the role from the sunday-morning-cartoon side. This is especially evident in her first proper scene, where she has a conversation with Jackie Boy.

It's a cool story, and I'd recommend it to people who like exoplotions.

The last story is That Yellow Bastard.
 
A good story, but my least favourite one of the three. There is a short squence at the beginning of the film setting up the story, and after the two main events, we rejoin this story to see what happens to the people involved. Hartigan struggles to protect 'skinny little Nancy Callahan' from Roark Jr. aka Yellow Bastard.
There are two scenes where I'd expect all the guys watching the film to cringe. I thought Nick Stahl did a great job as Yellow Bastard. I was totally disgusted by him, and I was so hoping he'd get what was coming to him.
Bruce Willis was Bruce Willis, he did a good job, the kind of job I've come to expect from him. He was well cast in the role and there is a scene between him and Nancy in a motell where I could see the torment, was a good scene.
I guess this is the tragic love story, maybe why it's not my fave part.


Bottom line; if you haven't seen this film yet, run out and see it as fast as you can!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar