21. desember 2008

Max Manus

The true story about Max Manus, one of the most brilliant saboteurs during World War II, and his work with the Norwegian Independent Company through the outbreak of World War II in Norway until peacetime in 1945.

You know, when I go to see a Norwegian film my expectations are always low. I’m not saying we make bad movies, I’m just saying the really good ones are rare. Max Manus is the only one where the trailer made me sit up and take notice, where by the end I knew this was something I would have to see in the cinema.

The buzz here in Norway for this film has been very good before the film was released. The reviews have mainly given it 4/6 and 5/6, which I still think is very good.

Now I’m usually not big on war movies, but I thought this movie was very good. Usually watching a Norwegian film I end up saying it was good for a Norwegian film, but this film is just very well done.

The film picks up after Max’s contribution in the Winter War in Finland against the Soviet Union, where he had volunteered. There are flashbacks to this time in his life; they almost serve as transitions between the different stages in his life during his time as a saboteur.

The film flows very well, and even though there are many people coming and going you get a sense of who they were and what they meant to the resistance and to Max.

The few flaws lies mainly with minor actors, who are clearly more used to working on stage than the screen. There were also a few dialect glitches as well, but not enough to pay attention to. Other than the few stage actors, I think all the actors did a great job. Major props go to Aksel Hennie as Max Manus, Nicolai Cleve Broch as Gregers Gram and Ken Duken’s portrayal of Siegfried Fehmer.

I do believe the film deserves some awards notice because I really think this movie deserves an acknowledgement. It’s an amazing story that’s been brought to the screen in a very tight and compelling film. There are heartbreaking parts as well as a dose of humour, and suspense.

I’m giving it a very strong 5 of 6 stars.
If this movie pops up in a cinema close to you I really recommend that you go see it, you won’t be disappointed.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar